Judgement or Forgiveness?
Can we ever fully recover from the sickness of "judgmentalism"? Maybe.
First, I can reprogram my thoughts to view people differently. When I search for the image of God stamped on all God's children, a spirit of gratitude comes to me quite naturally. With a thankful heart, I can sharpen the positive image of everyone with whom I come in contact.
Second, I can confess my faults openly. At our church trio practice one Sunday, I snapped at a fellow member for being late. After church I apologized for my abruptness, and she revealed problems at home that made her ministry in music difficult. Together we worked out an alternative plan and ended up rescheduling our trio practices.
Third, I can give equal time in prayer. A man in our church was unfaithful to his wife. I spent time with his wife, in tears, anger and prayer. By week's end I realized I hadn't once prayed for her husband. He was hard to love, but perhaps prayer would have softened his heart. As I called his name in prayer, my compassion for him grew.
When a brother or sister stumbles or feels the pain of a fall, rather than reach for my judges robe, I need to kneel down with them, share their hurt, and then gently seek to restore them to health and wholeness.
[Marriage Builders]
* Why is the habit of negative thoughts about others dangerous for you and disappointing to God?
* In your marriage relationship, why is it important to "clear the air" by confessing wrongs and asking for forgiveness?
Additional Scripture Readings
Galatians 6:1-5; Matthew 7:1-6; 12:34b

No comments:
Post a Comment