Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Circumstance Does Not Define Happiness

I have learned so much since Cory and I have been researching adoption. Especially since we have placed our focus on Ethiopia. I have come across so many wonderful sites. I've actually listed a new website to my favorites list to the right. It's a blog for Children's Hope International. They have several favorites on their list that are amazing also. One of the posts was "I Need Africa More Than Africa Needs Me". What an amazing post! It makes you seen things differently. When most think of Africa, they think about starvation, aids, child soldiers, genocide, sex slaves and orphans. Thoughts naturally turn to "how can I help and make a difference". They have so little and we have so much. It's true, there are many tragedies playing out in Africa everyday. However, this post talks about how we shouldn't buy into the lie that circumstance defines happiness. The person who wrote the post talks about finding the truth. The truth is, in Africa she found hearts full of victory, indomitable spirits. In a place where despair should thrive, she found adults dancing and singing, children playing soccer with a ball crafted of tied up trash. Instead of payback, she found grace. Her new reality...she says, I now know that my joy should have no regard for my circumstance. What a powerful statement! 
She's not saying that Africa does not need our efforts. They absolutely need our partnership. But, she says she now understands that she needed Africa more the Africa needed her. Possessions in our hands will never be as valuable as peace in our hearts.

No comments: